Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Too Good To Be True

I'm a sucker for a nifty product. I actually enjoy watching infomercials. It just thrills me to see how the newest and coolest product can change my world of cleaning, storage, cooking, exercise, skin/hair care, etc. for only $19.99 plus $6.99 for shipping.

Over the years I have purchased quite a few items that I just had to have to help make a difficult job a bit easier. Here are a few of my investments:

- Nads, a painless (and organic) waxing system. My experience = sticky, messy, a pain to clean up and it wasn't painless. Something I have come to terms with over the years is this: If you are pulling hair out of your body, regardless of what you're using, it's going to hurt!

- Glass watering bulbs, an easy way to water your potted plants without actually watering them. My experience = didn't work at all! (Maybe it was the operator).

- A handheld steamer with numerous attachments, to help clean those stuck on stains from your stove top, grout lines, etc. The demo for this had me jumping up and down. I have a very yucky sugar/syrup stain on my stove from a canning day gone bad and no product I have purchased will remove it. My experience = it works sometimes...but not on my syrup stain.

- The Tassi hair towel, conveniently pulls your hair away from your face while you wash it. My experience = it works for me. I gave these as Christmas gifts to my sisters and they like them too.

- Microfiber kitchen towels, super sucking power to absorb the biggest spills. My experience = while they did absorb well, the texture of the towel was horrendous to touch. I hated the feel of it on my hands.

The list goes on and on. Goodwill has received more than my fair share of donations over the years due to my "too good to be true" purchases.

Here's the bottom line. No product can replace hard work, a happy spirit and a desire to get something done. Whether it's in writing, parenting, running, or any other task, start with desire and hard work and things will start getting done in your life...and mine too.

Have you ever fallen prey to an infomercial? In your experience, has anything productive ever come from a short cut?

1 comment:

  1. I've never bought something off tv. Gasp! :)

    I do have a Shark steamer that I bought at a store here. It's an upright stick-vac kinda model, and it works great!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!