Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

In It For The Long Haul

My husband and I will be celebrating our seven year anniversary this Saturday, April 30th. Seven years and three kids later...we're still going strong.

But, I will say this...marriage is hard work! Between the busyness of life, kids, individual goals and dreams, different communication styles, various personality traits, snoring and socks on the floor it's always a wonder (and an extreme encouragement) when I meet couples that have been married for 20, 30, 40 plus years.

The 40 plus years is the ultimate goal.

My Father-in-law said something very wise when Chris and I were first married. He said, "you'll both feel like you're doing 80% of the work all the time." Sometimes my mouth just hangs open in disbelief when I hear Chris say he's doing all the "work". How can that be, when I swear I'm doing all the work? It's comical really.

And yet, the goal remains. The commitment is steadfast. God gives us strength for the hard days and endless joy during the great ones.

How long have you been married? Did you ever receive marital advice that really stuck with you?

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the seven years! My husband and I will be celebrating our seven year on June 5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! I hope you and your hubby have a special celebration planned.

    Gwynly and I have been married 23 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming up to 21 years this summer.

    I never really received any good "advice" but was shown some. My parents showed me that committment is what gets you through the tough times when you're so consumed with yourself that you wonder if you even love the guy anymore. Soon enough that loving feeling returns and I'm not so selfish anymore! :)

    Happy Anniversary, may you celebrate in a special way!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!