Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Do You Believe In Heaven?

Have you ever thought about what Heaven will be like? What does Jesus look like? Will we have wings? Will we be people (in the literal sense)? Will we see our family members and friends? Are there animals in Heaven? Will there be anything to do? Or will we just be playing the harp all day long?

I've often thought about many of these questions. My kids have also asked me complicated Heaven questions that I simply can't answer.

As Christians we are taught that Heaven is a real and beautiful place, full of gold and pearls and angels and crowns. But beyond that it's very hard for us to fully grasp what it will be like. I have no doubt that it will be wonderful beyond anything I can imagine but there are just so many questions that we simply don't have answers to.

The book Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo (which has been on the New York Times Bestseller List for 28 weeks and even now holds the #1 spot) gives us a rare peak into what one little boy experienced when he "visited" Heaven. This book is so emotionally stirring that I read the entire thing in a few hours. I simply couldn't put it down. I cried quite a bit. I chuckled at the adorable sayings of Colton. But mostly I praised God as I read, thankful that this book gives us a glimpse into the beauty and wonder of God, His vast love for us (especially the children) and what Heaven just might be like.

After four year old Colton Burpo underwent a major surgery that almost took his life, he began to share bits of his experience with his parents over the following months. Heaven is for Real is his description of Heaven, Jesus and many other thought provoking sights. His father, Todd, is a pastor in a small Nebraska town. Needless to say, Colton's stories surprise and shock his parents. Not wanting to "feed" Colton Bible answers, his parents ask open-ended questions and then do their research, giving scriptural evidence of Colton's sightings.

The entire book is fascinating! It's so fascinating that I just have to share the goodness! So I'm giving away two copies to two lucky readers that leave a comment and follow my blog by Friday, June 10th. Be sure to leave your email address in your comment. I'll announce the winner on Tuesday, June 14th!

Happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. I keep hearing things about this book! The last week of school, one of my 5th graders was reading it, which I thought was super cool. Definitely need to add this puppy to my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds intriguing. I'd heard the title but nothing else. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book looks great, I'd love to see his perspective on Heaven. As far as Heaven goes in my mind, I try to remember my happiest most blissful moment and multiply it by a hundred--maybe that's how amazing Heaven will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://adf.ly/2FvCb
    Life After Death

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!