Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

30 Day Experiment

Let me start by saying: I don’t know if this is going to work. It could be a colossal failure. But since I’m striving for “my all” in life (I’m channeling Beth Moore, June Cleaver, Jillian Michaels and Martha Stewart) I thought I’d give it a try and see if maybe, just maybe, I’m able to form some new daily habits.

It could be just the thing I need to be intentional about some of my goals. After all, if I just hope and pray that I’ll have more time to get things done but don’t actually make a plan to do exactly that, then I’ve just daydreamed away my opportunity. Not productive.

So I’ve been reading up on how to form new habits. Thirty days seems to be the magic number (if there is one…). My hope is that forcing myself to do certain things daily for thirty days straight will eventually retrain my brain to automatically and willingly accomplish a given task consistently.

Sound simple?

We’ll see.

I’m adding daily quiet time with God, one of my cheesey but fun workout DVD’s and as much writing as I can get in before the kids rise and shine, which is usually around 6:00AM.

My rules: I’m not trying to set a record here. I’m just trying to be consistent. So I’m shooting for at least 10 minutes each of quiet time and workout. And at least 300 words added to my WIP. And I’m not allowed to check email, Blogger or Twitter until I’ve finished those three things.

I have a lot to prove to myself. And I need the accountability that telling others brings. So that’s my plan. If any of you want to build a new habit as well, we can do it together and cheer eachother on. Shoot me an email if you want to tag-team!

My 30 day ticker starts Saturday, July 16!

What’s your deal? Do things like this come easy for you or do you find, like me, that you need a plan? What is an area of your life that you wish you were more consistent with?

3 comments:

  1. You can do it!! I like to get my quiet time and my excercise(which I need to be more consistent) in before I have to get the kids up for school. But I usually don't do any writing until after I drop them off.

    I could make better food choices. No fries for 30 days? My heart just skipped a beat. lol (Probably from clogging) So, maybe I can do it!

    Some things come easy. What I really want to do, I'll make time for. Other things...not so much. I'll shoot you an email! I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you well on your experiment, Lacie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lacie! I'm all about tackling new goals and making them an every day habbit.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I would abosolutely love to hear more about your mission trip to Italy. Maybe a lesson learned or an experience you had there. I would love it if you emailed me. heathersunseri(at)windstream(dot)net

    Good luck with your experiment.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!