Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gotta Start Somewhere

I have a confession to make.

Last week I was so plagued by self-doubt and insecurities that I almost canceled my registration for the ACFW conference in September. Who am I to think I’m ready to attend a writers conference? My book isn’t finished. I’m unsure of my theme. I’m just not ready!

Thankfully, I came to my senses. Aided greatly by some wise words from Ginny Yttrup, author of the “masterpiece” Words, and one of the speakers at the Write to Inspire Conference on August 26th and 27th.

“I began attending writers conferences when my sons were toddlers-about 18 years ago. I learned everything I know about writing from those conferences…”

You know what that tells me? It’s never too soon to attend a conference! After all, the learning needs to start somewhere. Why not learn at the feet of those who have traveled the road before you?

Ginny’s statement is one that I needed to hear. I try so hard not to have super huge expectations as I prepare for my upcoming conferences but truth be told, crazy hope manages to squeeze in.

Hearing that Ginny attended conferences for 18 years! Wow! What a wake-up call. A needed reminder that learning to craft a masterpiece takes time.

The bottom line is this: all we have control over is writing a great story – something that can be learned. The rest is up to God’s perfect will and timing.

“I'm not the writer of masterpieces-I'm simply a gal who loves God and followed His call in faith even when all seemed hopeless. He is the One who created the masterpiece and gave me the gift of doing it through me.”

No matter where you’re at on your writing journey (thinking about writing or the author of piles of books), I hope I have the opportunity to meet you at the Write to Inspire Conference or ACFW’s Conference.

I’ll be at both…learning! :)

Will you be there too? If not, what’s holding you back? Do you think there's a "right" time to attend a conference or is any time a good time?

****I want to give a huge THANK YOU to Kelley Gerschke over at Between the Bookends for bestowing on me the Liebster Blog award and even kinder words that just plain made my day! I had never heard of this award so I googled and found two different meanings for Liebster: Friend and Dearest. Neither of which I mind. ;) I'll devote some time on Thursday to loving on some of my favorite, smaller blogs in honor of this award.*****

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to meet you in person Lacie! We all deal with that self-doubt. You won't regret coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to meet you. I'm a hugger, so look out! :D
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so welcome Lacie!

    I've yet to attend a writers conference and unfortunately I can't make those two. But very soon I'll attend my first one.

    I definitely struggle with the confidence thing, especially after receiving rejections, but we just have to believe, and keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eagerly anticipating the ACFW conference, meeting old friends, and getting to meet new ones. I am so looking forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lacie, my dear, I'm so sorry to hear about your bout with doubts. I can so relate. But I'm here for you. If you get to a writerly low, give me a call, and we'll do lunch. Seriously. I'm in the Lacie Nezbeth cheerleading squad, and I live close enough to hold a pep rally just for you. I'll bring pompons, chocolate, whatever it takes to inspire you and get you excited about writing again.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning ladies, I'm very excited to meet each of you as well. It's funny how my insecurities are tied to my expectations. If I hope for much, then I feel unready. But if I expect to learn and meet friends...no biggie!

    And Wendy, I'm compiling a mental list of huggers. Wendy, yes. Erica, no. (Right?) Katie, do you have a preference? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keli, You are just too good too be true! How'd I get so lucky? God put an extra batch of "sugar and spice and everything nice" in you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are perfect for that award! Congrats, friend. :)

    I agree, it's never ever too late to attend a conference. I learned so much from WFTS this past February. I made friendships that will last a lifetime, and after the first day of nervous jitters were over, it felt like home.

    Have a great time! I look forward to hearing about all the wonderful things that happened while you were there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll love the ACFW conference. I've been two years, but I'm not going to make it this year. A 10-year wedding anniversary trip to Hawaii is taking its place :). Enjoy every minute of the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful time. You'll come back so motivated you won't be able to stop yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!