Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month (November) is a mere 8 days away!!!

And I'm signed up!

I'm nervous. No, I'm terrified...of failing. But this year, I'm trying it. I've wanted to participate for the last two years but I just haven't had the courage to try.

I'm quite notorious for my procrastinating ways. So naturally the task of writing 50,000 words in 30 days seems daunting to me.

The difference this time is that I feel prepared.

I'm all plotted out and ready to start a new story. I'm excited and hopeful that my detailed outlines will keep me on track and moving forward when I hit those inevitable blank screens and urges to go back and edit.

Also a huge relief is that I've cleared my November schedule to the best of my ability so no extra tasks will be on my plate while I attempt to complete the near-impossible.

Share with me: Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? How are you preparing? Have you ever done it in the past? What was your experience like? 

***Don't forget to stop by on Thursday the 25th for my review of this months book club title, Love's Reckoning!! I think you all know by now that I loved it! But I'm excited to tell you why! ;) And I hope some of you were able to read it as well and leave your thoughts in the comments! 

On a completely unrelated topic: I had a yucky head cold over the weekend and managed to plow through both season 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey...in two days!!! Wow! Why didn't you all tell me that show was amazing!?? Okay, you probably did...I'm just slow. Loved it! When does season 3 come out? I need to fake another cold. :)


5 comments:

  1. Yay for signing up for NaNo! I wish I could participate, but I couldn't afford to wait for November before starting my new project.

    It's an exhilarating and exciting ride! I'll be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you well as you prepare to embark on NaNoWriMo, Lacie. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lacie,

    I'm all signed up and ready to go, too!

    I'm working on book #2 in my Gustafson Girls Series, but I'm a pantser so I've got my general concepts down and that's about it. It helps that I've already written the first book and that the main characters have already been introduced and are fairly well-defined already...

    I did it last year and hit 27,800 on a junior novel, but then had a family emergency and had to give myself the grace to bow out. That was tough - I don't usually walk away from challenges like that. And I haven't picked that book back up - almost as though it carries a stigma... is that weird, or what? Maybe some day.

    Anyway, trying to clear the plate, here, too.

    You can do it!
    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually participate, but this year I have to get my current manuscript polished. I'm bummed I'm going to miss out on the fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it!! I did it last year and it was such a great feeling at the end to know I had written so much.

    I'm trying to finish my ms by end of November/beginning of December, but I'm dividing it by scenes instead of word count...so I won't have written quite 50,000 words in November but hopefully will have the same result! :)

    And yeah, Downton Abbey = amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!